Re: Unable to boot cloned disk

David wrote:

> Check the kernel command line in your /boot/grub/grub.conf to see if
> it might be using a UUID in the kernel parameter that specifies the
> partition to mount as root. The UUID is a identifier created uniquely
> by your system for each hard drive partition. The grub.conf syntax is
> the same as described by 'man fstab'.
>
> Here is an example from /boot/grub/grub.conf my Fedora 9 initial install.
>
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25-14.fc9.i686 ro 3
> root=UUID=9ce915fd-c95f-4817-8b02-448a4306fb11
>
> After you clone the drive, the cloned copy of grub.conf will contain
> the UUID of the original drive. You will need to edit this line in the
> cloned grub.conf so that it matches the UUID of the cloned drive.
>
> Or you can elect to use one of the other fstab syntaxes accepted by
> grub, such as these examples
> 	root=LABEL=somelabel
> 	root=/dev/sda1
>
> You can see the UUID of your drives by
> 	ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/

With a dd copy of the drives, I would expect the UUID to also copy.
On the other hand, if the disk controller hardware is different on
the second machine, I would expect that a new initrd file would be
needed. You would run into the same problems as you do when moving a
drive to a new motherboard.

Personally, I would not use dd for the job - there are better tools
for coping a drive that only copy the date and formatting.

Mikkel