Kernel 2.6.30

stan gryt2 at q.com
Fri Jun 19 14:20:12 UTC 2009

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 08:44:52 -0400
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:

> I'm going to assume that question is for the O.P. and pass on it.
> Fedora kernels are not kernel.org kernels, there are patches applied,
> so there is at least some justification for starting with a Fedora
> source. I wish there was a tool to scan the hardware installed (or
> modules loaded) and generate a minimal kernel config supporting just
> what's needed on a given system. Like "make localconfig"

Second this.  That would be great.  I dropped the size by 90% for a
time by eliminating unneeded functionality, then some change came along
that made my config file unstable, and I couldn't get back.  This seems
to be a problem generally, that there is a lot of dependency between
options that isn't clear.  A tool to create a "custom" kernel would be
excellent.  I suspect it would be a lot of work to create and maintain
though, especially at the rate the kernel changes.