Re: F11: No video -- anaconda or live -- 8800GTX

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Jake Peavy <djstunks gmail com> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Jake Peavy <djstunks gmail com> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 5:51 PM, Jake Peavy <djstunks gmail com> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d gmail com> wrote:
On 15/06/09 18:46, Jake Peavy wrote:
All,

Was going to put F11 on my Dell XPS710, but neither Anaconda installer
(on x86_64 installation DVD) nor x86 LiveUSB bring up video.

Did you try basic mode Xdriver=vesa  on the dvd,

Yes, to no avail (X startup failed)

I could certainly install in text mode

Anyone have any ideas on this?  Is anyone running F11 on GeForce 8800GTX?

The text-based install doesn't install any of the GUI stuff.  I thought I could just reconfigure once I got booted up.

This post describes my issue exactly.  Dual 8800GTXs seems to be the problem.

Any suggestions other than removing the second 8800 temporarily would be welcome.

The problem appears to be that X requires the two video cards to be identified in xorg.conf with their PCI BusIDs.

Because of the problems I have experienced, originally I was only able to install in text mode, but, as the guy at fedoraforum mentioned, for some !&*@&*%$ reason, you don't get to partition the drive when you install in this mode and it took the whole volume.

So it's been a struggle so far, but I want to repartition.  I could probably use gparted but I can't remember if it can resize LVM.

Or I could re-install, provided I'm somehow able to provide my own xorg.conf to Anaconda.

So is that possible?  Can a user supply a custom xorg.conf to Anaconda?

For the record, this has been a real goddamned nuisance and IMHO certainly not something a so-called "average user" could have taken on.

--
-jp

If I had a mineshaft, I don't think I would just abandon it. There's got to be a better way.

deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com