Re: Change Machine, No Sound (longish)

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 10:07:21 -0500
Mike McCarty <Mike McCarty sbcglobal net> wrote:

> You see, that's the conclusion I was drawing: Everything I knew
> to check looked like it had been loaded and initialized, but
> still no sound.
>
> I did also check the "taskbar" speaker volume, and it's not a
> problem with muting the sytem.
>
> I'm surprised that there is something that kudzu didn't figure out.

I noticed that the card has a built-in modem.  It is possible that the
setup placed it as default instead of the sound device.  You could
check for that in /etc/modules.conf or with aplay -lLv  (I put all
three instead of remembering exact syntax) :-)

And you might want to move /etc/asound.conf and ~/.asoundrc to backups
and try a reboot to see if they were influencing the sound detection in
any way.

Maybe try after typing   esdctl off  . I noticed you had esd on, it
might have some interaction with alsa causing problems.

All these are grasping at straws.  I'm as stumped as you are at this
point.