fedora-11-x64_86 after install reboot to Error 15

I installed Fedora-11-x64_86-DVD.iso   tested disk OK  installed on 500 gig drive partitioned /dev/sda1 and the last 9999 whatever as swap.
on reboot from bios system goes to blank screen with Error 15 in upper right corner.  even before grub.
I had to explicitly partition sda to sda1 ext3  and a swap.  If I do not then grub fails with not being able to mount the root partition.  it does not like 0x8e.

I can run rescue from above DVD.  it starts kernel OK
But who knows what can be fixed??????

separate issue on cpuspeed in boot sequence crashes install if fc-8
I have installed Fedora-8-x64_86-DVD and had to comment out a modprobe line
I expect if I ever get past Error 15 I will also have to rename /etc/init.d/cpuspeed

My third linux install was a redhat ( I think less than 1) that I bought in Westport Ct in Bob Young's former CEO of Redhat. kitchen.
This may be my 130th install of a linux.