fedora-11-x64_86 after install reboot to Error 15

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Jun 19 18:31:06 UTC 2009

Tom Watson wrote:
> I installed Fedora-11-x64_86-DVD.iso   tested disk OK  installed on 500
> gig drive partitioned /dev/sda1 and the last 9999 whatever as swap.
> on reboot from bios system goes to blank screen with Error 15 in upper
> right corner.  even before grub.
> I had to explicitly partition sda to sda1 ext3  and a swap.  If I do not
> then grub fails with not being able to mount the root partition.  it
> does not like 0x8e.
>
> I can run rescue from above DVD.  it starts kernel OK
> But who knows what can be fixed??????

You need a /boot in a partition which is filesystem ext[23]. On the other hand,
the installer seems to prevent you from doing this if you don't have a separate
boot partition.

An LVM PV might be an issue as well, although I would expect the installer to
catch that as well. I'm not sure what you mean by "partition sda to sda1 ext3"
since ext3 is not a partition type but a f/s type. You want your files in ext4,
I would think, for performance. The default f/s format doesn't seem to set up
zones, there are a *lot* of options to ext4, I did mine by hand on one system
and feel as if it's worth it, but mainly because I run VM disk images there and
any speed boost seems to help.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>