Re: ease of alpine -> thunderbird migration?

Steven W. Orr wrote:

On 06/19/09 14:30, quoth Robert P. J. Day:
  i've used pine/alpine email for years, but i figure it's time for a
change.  should i be worried about just switching to thunderbird?
obviously, i want to retain my current inbox, mail folders,
addressbook and ... well, there's not really much more than that.

  any gotchas i should watch for?

I just "bit the bullet" too. For years I was a loyal pine/alpine user, but now
it's time to move on and I have successfully completed the switchover. In a
conversion of this nature, there are paradigm shifts that are a part of the
problem. i.e., you're not going to find the same functionality called the same
thing in the different systems.

The end result is that there are a few things that I can't do, but I did solve
a lot of the problems, in fact almost all of them. And I also need to add that
of all the people I know, no one uses email with more tricks and backflips
than me.

Part of the solution to getting TB to do exactly what I wanted was vis
configuration, part via addons. In the end, it took a total of 15 addons plus
many mods to prefs.js. Understanding how to get the functionality of alpine
Roles out of TB was quite interesting.

I still use alpine for root, it's dumb enough to avoid virtually any evil which might come through mail. And I use Seamonkey for mail/news/rss (need beta for rss) because it has all the profiles, accounts, threading, watched threads, custom view and such I could want. I run minimal add-ons, mainly one to compress quoted text to a single line.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen tmr com>