Baffled by a Cable Modem solved

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Sat Jun 20 02:37:29 UTC 2009

On 09-06-19 02:06:38, Don Vogt wrote:

> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 14:40:25 -0400
> From: Tony Nelson <tonynelson at georgeanelson.com>
> Subject: Re: Baffled by a Cable Modem solved
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
>
> On 09-06-18 11:36:02, John Aldrich wrote:
>
> > My guess... your ISP had something messed up and just waiting fixed
> > it. :-)  Even if you called them, they probably would have denied
> > there was anything wrong. Or, they might have admitted they had an
> > outage or something.  You never know. :-)
>

>  I did call and when I said that it worked OK in Windows, she lost
> interest. When I said my problem was in using Linux, she didn't hang
> up
> - but her brain did. It was much as I expected since they don't claim
> to support Linux
>
> .
> >  As others have said, you are probably only allowed one IP address
> > issued to one MAC address, which timed out overnight, and your
> attempt
> > to use a different MAC address worked in the morning.  If you only
> ever
> > have one machine connected to a network, you can give them both the
> > same MAC address, as was already suggested to you.  That won't work
> > you wish to use more than one machine on the network (and Internet)
> at
> > the same time, in which case you should get a small home NAT box /
> > Router and configure it to present the expected MAC address (or
> just
>
> > wait overnigth again).
>
> As far as I understand it ( and I don't claim to ), I used the same
> MAC address all the time. At least I never changed it.

Each machine has its own MAC address.  At the bottom of your message I
see that you using one machine booted sometimes in MSWindows and
sometimes in Linux.  Even in that case is is /possible/ that the MAC
addresses are different, as they can be set.

>  I have another computer, ( sort of a standby) that doesn't play in
> this recent activity. But I used to exchange the ethernet cable from
> the DSL modem between the two computers (rebooting each time, and had
> no problems. Of course that is a different network with different
> policies probably.

Yes.  That one probably used PPPoE, which identifies by username and
password, not DHCP, which identifies by MAC address.