checksum suggestion

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sun Jun 21 00:25:10 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 21:00:53 -0400,
  Tom Horsley <tom.horsley at att.net> wrote:
> There is little doubt that sometime soon some fiendish
> mathematician somewhere will discover that sha256sum
> is really hopelessly broken and only a fool would ever
> have used it, then we'll all have to switch to
> shaalephnullsum or some such :-).

There is already a process going on to create a new hash standard similar
to what was done for AES. The SHA-2 hashes are thought to be weak since
they use a scheme similar to MD5 and SHA1 and those have serious problems
now, but are still usable in most cases. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHA-3