Re: Book Readers (E-Books) w.r.t. Fedora Interoperation

On 6/21/09, Frank Murphy <frankly3d gmail com> wrote:
> Looking for user experiences with e-book readers.
> Against maybe buying a 7" netbook for same purpose.

I periodically review the e-book offerings, and so far I've always
come to the conclusion that my 7'' eee pc is much more useful then
either of them (for me anyway). There's a lot that's wrong with  these
gadgets, but the common source of all problems seems to be their
closed nature. If one could get to their underlying OS (linux?) and
freely install software, it'd be a different proposition. But one
cannot, so a netbook, rotated by 90 degrees, with FBreader, evince and
acroread (yes, it's a must, not just because it allows fine control
over magnification (a must on a small screen) but also because of its
superior output) is the only reasonable choice (again, for me). Yes,
I'd love to have an e-ink display and longer battery life, but not if
that means I can't conveniently read my whole collection of
pdf/ps/html/rtf/txt/whatever books and documents.

Just my 2c,

Andras