Re: Client connect to NFS server as user?

Mike Chambers wrote:
On Sat, 2009-06-20 at 12:27 -0700, Craig White wrote:

but the truth is that using automounts such as /etc/auto.home
or /auto.misc is even better

I wanted to use auto mounts before myself, but the one problem I ran
into, was if the directory wasn't mounted, and I wanted to download a
file off the internet (via firefox, or even an ftp gui) and onto the nfs
share, it wouldn't be accessible.  I would have to get access it or
whatever to get it to mount/appear and then download.  So I use fstab to
perm mount it.

I'm still trying to mount as user "bobg" without success! 192.168.1.48 is the server, 192.168.1.9 is a client and in the "box9" client I have the following lines in /etc/fstab:

192.168.1.48:/home /home/NFS-files nfs rw,users 0 0 192.168.1.9:/home /home/NFS-files nfs rw,users 0 0 I'm not certain both are required but when I su to root everything works as expected. As user "bobg" I get the following:

   [bobg box9 ~]$ mount.nfs box48:/home/NFS-files  /mnt/home
   mount.nfs: permission denied: no match for /mnt/home found in /etc/fstab

/mnt/home is the directory on the client where the server files should appear ... If it works as root it seems it should work as user with the above lines. Obviously I have missed something.

Help needed, an example of a working line would be great.

Bob