F11 XKB troubles

Beartooth TpBkR beartooth at comcast.net
Mon Jun 22 15:52:16 UTC 2009

	One one machine, I keep getting half a dozen popups that all
say :

Error activating XKB configuration.
It can happen under various circumstances:
- a bug in libxklavier library
- a bug in X server (xkbcomp, xmodmap utilities)
- X server with incompatible libxkbfile implementation

X server version data:
The X.Org Foundation
10601901

If you report this situation as a bug, please include:
- The result of xprop -root | grep XKB
- The result of gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd

	It doesn't say *where* to send a bug report. So I ran those
commands, and got :

[btth at Hbsk ~]$ xprop -root | grep XKB
_XKB_RULES_NAMES_BACKUP(STRING) = "evdev", "evdev", "us", "",
"terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
_XKB_RULES_NAMES(STRING) = "evdev", "pc105+inet", "us", "",
"terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
[btth at Hbsk ~]$ gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd
 layouts = []
 options = []
 model =
[btth at Hbsk ~]$ gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd
 layouts = []
 options = []
 model =
[btth at Hbsk ~]$

	None of that means anything to me.

	I tried yum remove xkb, meaning to follow it with yum install
xkb, but yum didn't find it.

	I tried googling, and I tried yum whatprovides. That got me to /
usr/share/X11/xkb -- but everything in the readmes is Geek to me.

	When I was working, all of us in my section had lots of what we
then called macros such as type Ctrl-b, and the machine would put
"Includes bibliographical references" into the proper field. What little
I can follow seems to say that such tricks are what XKB does; but I don't
use them now, and haven't since I retired.

	Should I just remove XKB? If so, how? If not that, what?