two F11 issues

Tait Clarridge Tait.Clarridge at lavalife.com
Mon Jun 22 16:18:30 UTC 2009

> Hi everyone!
>
> F11 live cd, booting from USB on a eeepc 901 (20 gig model).
>
> boots fine, pretty much everything works fine.
>
> But...
> 1) sound volume is so low as to be nearly inaudible. I've cranked up every
> mixer/volume control I can find, including alsamixer. I know that in F10, doing
> that worked--every new kernel on f10 would reset alsamixer to 50%, and I'd
> have to go reset it. But F11 seems to be different. Clues pls?

Unfortunately this will not work with the Live CD, but if you installed the Live CD to your hard drive I am sure it will work. At least it did for me on my 1000HE.

You might want to try setting the options for the snd-hda-intel module.

For my EEE-1000HE I created the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and put the following lines:

options snd-hda-intel model=quanta

This broke my onboard microphones, but it made the sound much better.

What you can try is the following:

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 | grep Codec

Then look on this site http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio-Models.txt for your model.

For example, on my current Laptop the above command gives me

Codec: Realtek ALC268

So on the site I scroll down to the ALC267/268 section and I see the following:

66	ALC267/268
67	==========
68	  quanta-il1	Quanta IL1 mini-notebook
69	  3stack	3-stack model
70	  toshiba	Toshiba A205
71	  acer		Acer laptops
72	  acer-dmic	Acer laptops with digital-mic
73	  acer-aspire	Acer Aspire One
74	  dell		Dell OEM laptops (Vostro 1200)
75	  zepto		Zepto laptops
76	  test		for testing/debugging purpose, almost all controls can
77			adjusted.  Appearing only when compiled with
78			$CONFIG_SND_DEBUG=y
79	  auto		auto-config reading BIOS (default)

Since my laptop is a Toshiba, I use the toshiba model option so the line in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf looks like:

options snd-hda-intel model=toshiba

I think for you the model will be ALC269 so you can try either of the following (replace "toshiba" from the above line with one of the options below):

basic
quanta
eeepc-p703
eeepc-p901
fujitsu

When I was doing my eee 1000HE the quanta model would give me much louder sound and the headphone sensing would still work.

Just remember that you might want to reboot when making changes, I never had much success with unloading the module and then modprobing it with the proper option.

Trial and error is your friend!

Let me know how it goes. I wrote a blog entry about it here: http://www.taiter.com/blog/2009/05/eee-pc-1000he-tips.html