gnome-keyring pop up from ssh

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue Jun 23 23:24:16 UTC 2009

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht writes:

> Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> writes:
>> For some reason, on one of my machines, the first time I run ssh I get
>> a pop-up to unlock my keyring.
>>
>> I don't use a keyring. How do I turn off this pop-up?
>
> You probably have a keyring that you didn't request courtesy of the
> gnome gremlins.  Check:
>
>         ~/.gnome2/keyrings
>
> At one point, many fedora releases ago, there was some weirdness where
> default.keyring and login.keyring interacted badly and that would cause
> such a popup.  These keyrings seem as well documented as the rest of
> gnome (meaning hardly at all) so it beats me what they do.  Deleting the
> keyrings solved the problem for me back then.  Perhaps it will do the
> trick for you too.

I used gnome-keyring-editor to delete the keyring. On the next login, it got
recreated. Since I have gdm autologin to my user account, it demanded that I
enter the keyring password. Then, I was back to square one.

Bloody annoying.

If I have gdm autologin to my user account, and there's no password that it
can swipe behind my back, to unlock the keyring, it should just shut the
FSCK up, and not bother me.