Warning against preupgrade

Kevin Bowling kevinb at analograils.com
Thu Jun 25 14:37:33 UTC 2009

On 6/25/2009 4:36 AM, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 04:07:07 -0700
> Kevin Bowling<kevinb at analograils.com>  wrote:
>

>> 2 out of 5 failures.  F10->F11 is completely unusable for any kind of
>> "uncommon" setup, i.e. LDAP login, Linux RAID, Xen DomU.  Anything other
>> than one IDE hard disk with default layout really.
>>

> 2 out of 5 ? - I got 3 out of 4 fails including hitting error paths that
> clearly were not tested because the error printing code didn't work but
> spewed python traces - and yes its in bugzilla already.

One of the "success" required manual heavy lifting.  F11 Xorg didn't
like the R100 radeon in my IBM x3650 server and absolutely crawled.
After two DAYS I interrupted and rebooted the box before it was done
doing package cleanups.  Some careful work manually sorting out the mess
seemed to get it going.

preupgrade-cli should not use a frame buffer of any type.  Think about
TTY-only devices, or server BIOS that redirect console to ethernet/serial...

Anyways, be careful!  Clearly not for the average user, and woefully
under-tested.