[was (no subject)] Wireless in F11

Brian Mearns bmearns at ieee.org
Fri Jun 26 12:24:19 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 7:22 AM, Z3N58 at libero.it<Z3N58 at libero.it> wrote:
> Hi,
> i'm a new user of Fedora 'cause I was using another distribution of linux
>
> and i want to put F11 on my laptop (Hp 6735s) but I tryed the live version and
>
> the wifi is not working...i wanna jnow if is just a live problem and if is like
>
> that installing F11 the problem will be solved or is a problem with the
>
> wireless hardware (Broadcom 802.11). Are just some months that i'm using linux
>
> and i'm not so good at it.
> thank's to everybody!
> ivan
[clipped]

In my experience, Linux is still somewhat immature in the wireless
area, but does seem to be catching up rapidly (this is obviously a
pretty high demand area). As with most linux-hardware issues, the real
problem is vendor support for the Linux kernel.

But I digress. I'm guessing the problem will not magically solve
itself just by installing F11, but I can't say for sure. I think
certain wireless devices just aren't supported in Linux yet, but if
you already had it working in another distro, then that's probably not
the issue. Personally, I've only tried a few different wireless
devices with linux, but the only one that I could get to work was the
Linksys WUSB54GC USB Wireless network adapter, but I think any device
that uses Ralink rt73 chipset has good support in Linux. Specifically,
the drivers for this chipset are part of the Fedora distro: I just
recently installed F11 and didn't have to do anything special, the USB
wireless adapter just worked. Info on what other chipsets/devices
currently enjoy Linux support are avaiable at this page:
http://linux-wless.passys.nl/query_hostif.php

Hope that helps some.
-Brian

Key Id: 0x3AA70848