Some issues in F11

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Fri Jun 26 14:09:44 UTC 2009

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 08:45:22 -0500
Bradley wrote:

> Well, I tried this and it did absolutely nothing.

The xorg.conf file can say anything it wants, but
the X server can have its own reasons for
deciding to ignore it :-).

Sometimes you can dig through the cryptic gibberish
in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file and see why the
server rejects some modes. Possibly something
like adding vertical and horizontal refresh
info to the xorg.conf file will convince it that
it is OK to use a mode it rejected, possibly
you need to generate a mode line and cram
it down xorg's throat :-).

There is a program that comes with X these days
named "cvt" which can generate valid mode lines
that might work.

Some of my own experiences with different versions
of X can be found here (though the X server has
changed a lot, so not everything is relevant
any longer):

http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/easy-linux.html