samba shares unmountable by user

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jun 28 00:17:58 UTC 2009

On Saturday 27 June 2009, Sharpe, Sam J wrote:
>2009/6/27 Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>:

>>><snip>

>>>This is another example of why I use Gnome, regardless of how much
>>>hell people give me for it.
>>>
>>>[sam at samlap ~]$ id
>>>uid=1000(sam) gid=100(users)
>>>groups=10(wheel),74(sshd),100(users),498(pulse-rt),501(libvirt)
>>>[sam at samlap ~]$ gvfs-mount smb://10.0.1.69/Drobo01
>>>[sam at samlap ~]$ ls .gvfs/drobo01\ on\ 10.0.1.69/
>>>Applications  DroboApps  Incoming  Movies  Music  Personal  TV
>>>
>>>Note that not once did I need root access, yet I did not leave the Command
>>> Line.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Sam
>>
>> Ok:
>> [gene at coyote Pictures]$ id
>> uid=501(gene) gid=501(gene)
>>
>> on the lappy, gene is 500:500
>>
>> [gene at coyote Pictures]$ gvfs-mount smb://lappy.coyote.den/genesdir
>> Error mounting location: volume doesn't implement mount
>> [gene at coyote Pictures]$
>>
>> [gene at coyote Pictures]$ man gvfs-mount
>> No manual entry for gvfs-mount
>
>Do you have a /usr/share/gvfs/mounts/smb.mount (provided by the
>gvfs-smb package?)

Looks like I do:

[gene at coyote Pictures]$ cat /usr/share/gvfs/mounts/smb.mount
[Mount]
Type=smb-share
Exec=/usr/libexec/gvfsd-smb
AutoMount=false
Scheme=smb
[gene at coyote Pictures]$

>Possibly this doesn't work if you're not running a Gnome desktop - it
>does require Fuse, gfvsd and probably DBus running.

DBus is present, not sure about fuse & gfvsd.  Ack htop, the gvfd-fuse-daemon
has several copies running, along with gfvsd.  But no joy.

I can get gutenprint-gimp to print over the cable by specifying the
ipp://path-to-printer:631/printers/lp2, but it will not remember it from print
to print.

Thanks Sam.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Knebel's Law:
	It is now proved beyond doubt that smoking is one of the leading
	causes of statistics.