Firefox 3.5 beta occasionally completely locks system when starting f11 x86_64

stan gryt2 at q.com
Sun Jun 28 01:41:57 UTC 2009

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 18:32:35 -0400
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:

> stan wrote:
> > On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 10:35:01 -0700
> > Jason Turning <jturning at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >

> >> I haven't had a problem on my F11 x86_64 laptop. I do run the
> >> closed Nvidia driver. Are you running a closed driver? Maybe it is
> >> locking X, so see if you can re-enable the CTRL-ALT-BKSP key to
> >> reset just X.
> >>
> >> http://preview.tinyurl.com/lusrn9
> >
> > No, I'm running whatever open driver X has selected.
> >
> > It locks up hard, no keyboard or mouse response whatsoever.  So,
> > while this is probably a good possibility in other cases, not good
> > for this.
> >
> Not to speak for Jason, but I think he meant for you to check if the
> system was locked up or just the X. Did you try ssh into the machine,
> or similar? Also, are you running GNOME or KDE. I suspect that there
> is more GNOME testing than KDE, and even less if you have the
> worthless frills.. I mean "visual enhancements" turned on. ;-)

No I didn't try an SSH; I usually have SSH turned off and blocked at
the firewall as well. I'll keep SSH in mind if it starts happening
again. So far it hasn't.

I run a low end video setup on Gnome, not sure it even has 2d
acceleration.  I guess I must agree with your assessment of the "visual
enhancements". ;-)