Files corrupt on copy

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sun Jun 28 14:22:00 UTC 2009

On 06/27/2009 08:45 AM, Andy Campbell wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 08:35:36 -0400, Robert L Cochran wrote:
>

>> I'm not sure what you mean when you say your files are not copying
>> correctly. How exactly are they corrupt? What convinces you of this?
>>
>> Bob
>>

> I thought I had given enough details, simple demo ...
>
> $cp file1.zip new_file.zip
> $cmp file1.zip new_file.zip
> file1.zip new_file.zip differ: byte 77726613, line 292919
>
> ( It took 8 attempts for the files to be different )
>
> Andy.

I was sleepy or just plain dumb when I posted the above, sorry. I had
something similar to this happen to me in the distant past. I fried the
motherboard and the memory when I accidentally left the power supply
connected to power and started working on the motherboard. Although
painfully expensive, I replaced both.  That fixed the problem. Your
problem has a similar hardware error type of feeling. But I can't
identify the exact problem. You may want to consult the latest edition
of "Upgrading and Repairing PC's" by Scott Mueller.

Bob