F11: ATI Graphics Drivers and 3D

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Tue Jun 30 11:45:15 UTC 2009

Fedora 11 seems to have major problems with ATI graphics cards and 3D.
I have two systems with ATI graphics. One is a RV280 [Radeon 9200 PRO]
and one is and ATI Mobility Radeon X300.

I am trying to run Blender and Paraview.

Both of these are subject to major 3D display errors (missing popup windows
etc) and X-Server hangs (sometimes X Server in 100% loop and kill -9 has no effect).

These worked on Fedora 8 Ok although I did need to use the ATI driver
for the Radeon X300 to get decent performance.

I have tried "nomodeset" on the kernel command line to no avail. Is there
any recommendations to getting later drivers and do people know
where most faults lie: kernel, DRM, X-Driver ?

Cheers

Terry