Live CD fails to boot

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Tue Jun 30 14:37:12 UTC 2009

On 09-06-30 03:30:00, Niels Haase wrote:
> If you have the checksum determined with the commands above, you
> should also comparing it to your burned CD/DVD. This show if there
> are some uncorrectable writing error on are present on the media.
>
> You need the rawread script from [1].
> The syntax is relay easy, just insert your CD an type:
>
> rawread /dev/cdrom | sha256sum
>
> [1] http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/coasterless.htm#rawread

I simply compare the DVD with the original file right after burning the
DVD:

    # cmp /dev/dvd original.iso

If the result is silence (when there's no kernel issue) or something
like "eof on original.iso" (when the kernel reads past end of DVD),
then all of original.iso is on the DVD with no errors, and the DVD is
good.