usb mount point control

jack craig jackc at linuxlighthouse.com
Tue Jun 30 22:41:16 UTC 2009

Hi Fedora Folks,

over the weekend, i decided to upgrade my fc10 to fc11. it wasnt too painful, it only broke my email and mplayer.

however, as i used my sd card to shuttle files to/from my moblin netbook, i had a /etc/fstab entry of the form, ...

/dev/sdd1  /media/disk             ext3                defaults   0 0

and this bought me the assurance that upon mount, /media/disk/.. is where i'd find my sd card files.

now with fc11, this same entry fails to do the job, i get a system generated mount point of the form, ...

/dev/sdd1 on /media/c35d465d-bf2b-4c9a-9fd4-5a6e02d8d219 type ext2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=devkit)

and if i add my fstab entry, i get an error about only root can mount /dev/sdd1 on /media/disk.

could someone point me to how to override this behaviour?

tia, jackc...
    jack craig
       jackc at LinuxLightHouse.com
          831-684-1375 (Office)