Re: Laptop: Hard drive wakes up every 5-10 seconds

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
If it is really the hard drive, it is probably rsyslogd doing
something with the log files. When you are logged in, the CD/DVD
drive is also checked to see if there is a disk in the drive. This
will also light the HDD light in most systems.

I forgot to add that I disabled hal polling on /dev/sr0. I guess the beeping could be the dvd drive, but that would mean that hal is broken, which isn't that unlikely.

I performed an ls -lrt /var/log and the last touched file was wtmp over two minutes ago. messages hadn't been written to in 15 minutes.