Clarification on roles of networking components.

	G'day all,
		I've been setting up a SOHO network, switching things over from a
labour intensive /etc/hosts based system to a more automated setup.
With much reading I think I can't see the wood for the trees any more.

	I have found a lot of material on the individual components and their
configuration, but not on the overall integration of the parts into a
whole.  Is there such a guide or even schematic to illustrate how and
where each component is best used?  More specifically:

	Is there any overlap in the functions of NIS, bind and LDAP?  Or are
these mutually exclusive?

	When using DHCP, is /etc/hosts redundant?

	What is the optimal way to resolve names in a small but growing
network?

	Any help in clearing the fog will be thankfully received.

--
Regards,
Simon Slater