Something Broke My Grub

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 19:35:21 UTC 2009

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 19:20:50 +0000, Dave wrote:

> An hour ago I had a fully functioning machine. Now I just get the word
> "GRUB" in the top left of the screen. Something has gone wrong in the
> last hour or so.

Has happened to many people before:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/450143

> Here's what I did.

You installed a "kernel" update, which runs /sbin/new-kernel-pkg
which in turn reinstalls GRUB via grubby. The kernel package is
not the culprit, however. Something at run-time has changed your
system environment in a way that confused the GRUB installation.
How exactly remains to be found out.

> Has anyone else seen anything like this? And, more importantly, does
> anyone have any suggestions of ways to fix it?

You need to reinstall GRUB just once more. Use rescue mode,
for example. I think above bz ticket gives hints.