linkage problem?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Mar 4 21:44:26 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 04 March 2009, James Wilkinson wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I note that in kontrol->file associations, there are often 2 copies of
>> firefox, presumably because when F10 installed itself, it installed 3.0.4
>> alongside the 3.0.6 install.  I had yum remove the 3.0.4 version
>
>Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> (And FYI, the version in F10 updates is also 3.0.6.)
>
>Gene replied:
>> Then why isn't yum offering to install it?  Is updates disabled by
>> default?
>
>Let me check this: you removed the Firefox RPM, installed a non-RPM
>based Firefox, and now wonder why yum doesn’t know that Firefox is
>installed?
>
>James.

After the fact James.  The default upgrade linked an old version I hadn't use
in ages to all the menus & I could not find where to fix that, so I just nuked
it, but not with rpm.  Then the missing links gave me enough of an error
message that I could find and fix those links.  So now it is using 3.0.6 just
fine with one huge wart:

When I click on a link in an email, and there is a session running in a
different window, rather than handing the link off to the running copy, it
opens another independent invocation of firefox, with 2 identical tabs open to
the link clicked on.  Behind the kmail screen and very easily missed cuz only
1/8" of the new FF screen shows.

I'll get that sorted in due time, but there really are far more pressing
problems with the f10 upgrade, the most aggravating of which is changes in the
color schemes used, both in FF and in terminals, FF doesn't save the use
system colors setting so many web pages are devoid of any text content because
the background and foreground colors are the same.  I'll bet I've called up
about:config and changed that to true 500 times since upgrading to F10.

And those apps like ls or mc that like to use colors to denote different file
types are color crippled and very hard to read regardless of what color scheme
is selected, so one has to set each session up with a different color scheme
in order to get legible screen displays.  Please revert the ability to choose
colors to what it was in F8.  In fact, I consider this part to be a huge
regression.  Ditto the screen backgrounds, I can change them but the change is
gone should I reboot.  PIMA...

I know, you were going to ask me for a 'Duh', weren't you? :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)