Re: Text editor won't let me edit conf files. How do I?

Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 00:17 +0530, Rangeen Basu wrote:
I'm not good at the command line (Just past newbie).  I try to edit .conf
files to set up samba but the text editor tells me I don't have
permission.  All of the system admin functions ask me for authorization
and then let me do whatever but not the text editor.  I have added the gdm
group to  the directories the gnome docs told me to (/run/gdm).  I have
added the gdm group to my user group profile.  How can I get a GUI text
editor to let me edit .conf files?
you can also use this command:

su -c 'gedit /etc/your_file.conf'
Password:

Give your root password when it asks.
-
The essential point is that you have to be root to edit filles with onlu
root w permissions
Television is a medium because anything well done is rare. -- attributed
to both Fred Allen and Ernie Kovacs

You can also just type
su
And then your root password
After which, you will have complete root access.