practically no volume in f9

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Wed Mar 4 23:42:39 UTC 2009

On Thursday 05 March 2009 00:00, Dave Feustel wrote:
> I'm experiencing almost no volume with youtube videos on f9.
> Pulseaudio says the volume is at max. Is pulseaudio causing
> this problem?
>
> Thanks.

Hi Dave. I'm not too impressed with pulseaudio, but that aside, first try the
following command on KDE's Konsole, or Gnomes Terminal.

alsamixer -D hw:0

This will get you all of the alsamixer controls. There may may some control
that may be muted. Look for, Master, PCM, Front. The "M" key controls the
mute/unmute. Perhaps one of them just needs to be pushed up a bit.

If that doesn't fix anything you can disable pulseaudio by removing the
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio package. You can always re-install it later, if it
doesn't resolve the problem.

I have seen pulseaudio being responsible for low volume levels, and when
removed the volume comes back to normal.

Worth a try.

Nigel.