Re: Perl modules <---> Fedora RPMs (Test::More)

On 03/04/2009 11:12:33 AM, Dave Cross wrote:
> 2009/3/4 Reber, Simon <simon reber roche com>:
> > I suggest to download the tar.gz package from http://www.cpan.de
> and
> install it using:
> >        perl Makefile.PL
> >        make
> >        make install
>
> Firstly, if you're going to point someone at CPAN then please use the
> canonical URL (http://www.cpan.org/) rather than a national mirror.
>
> Secondly, mixing RPM-installed modules and CPAN-installed modules in
> the same Perl installation is a recipe for disaster. I strongly
> recommend avoiding it whenever possible.

Actually, that's not the case. Here's what I do. YMMV.

Install _minimal_ Perl as rpms. That's just perl and whatever comes
with it on yum install. Then get the CPAN rpm, and whatever comes with
it.

After this, use cpan to install whatever you need. The cli interface is
simple and easy to use. The value of this is that if you install
(rather than upgrade) new Fedora distos, your cpan-installed modules
are not affected, always assuming that /usr/local is a separate file
system.