Re: Text editor won't let me edit conf files. How do I?

you can also use this command:

su -c 'gedit /etc/your_file.conf'
Password:

Using su with GUI apps can lead to X11 sockets and the like getting wrong
permissions and screwing up that user's configuration. YMMV.

hence my total confusion as to why fedora no longer ships gksu??

I use kdesu to start programs as root. But I don't know if it's safer than other methods or anything like that. But it has worked for me for a while.

Rocco