Re: Fed10 and recording quitar music

johnbs wrote:
Hello everybody,
could somebody please give me the load down on recording quality music with Fedora 10? What programmes should I use, etc in fact everything! My friends tell me I would have to quit Fedora and go to Windows : an idea which does not please me. Thanks a lot.
John Brennan-Sardou.

Most (probably all) of the programs mentioned by people in this thread are included with Planet CCRMA. You have Fedora 10 installed already, so you're almost there...

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/

I've never ran Windows or a Mac, but the people doing audio work on Linux swear that it's better for audio recording than anything with Windows or a Mac.

Here's the quick list of the benefits of Planet CCRMA...

############################
1). Installs a modified Fedora 10 kernel for audio purposes
############################

The kernel is patched for low latency (latency is the measurement of how long it takes sound to go (for instance) from the mic you spoke into... through the hardware... through the software... and into your headphones/monitor).

Patched for Realtime Preemption (allows your music programs the highest priority, so other programs don't interfere with smooth, uninterrupted recording)

############################
2). Uses rtirq
############################

I can't explain this technically, but it has to do with your sound card of choice getting the highest priority so other hardware doesn't interfere with smooth, uninterrupted playback/recording.

############################
3). Programs and Hardware are configured for (above mentioned) benefits
############################

Any Program or Hardware that take advantage of the (above mentioned) benefits are configured for you to use those advantages.

############################
4). Uses yum

Installing music programs is as easy as...
bash> yum install ProgramName

4). Firewire works "out of the box"

Firewire works "out of the box" (on the Fedora 10 version of CCRMA), I am in the process of writing a "quick start" or possibly a "howto" on how to get firewire working with one of the well supported firewire interfaces (Focusrite Saffire Pro 10). It will be posted to the CCRMA mailing list.

I am also in the process of creating a "howto" or "quickstart" on using ffado-mixer (Mixer for firewire audio interfaces). It will be posted in the ffado mailing list.

I recommend you join the CCRMA mailing list...