NM problems

I have a number of strange things in NM.

If I view 'edit connections' I see:

Auto Ethernet: 14 minutes ago
System eth1: never
Auto eth1: never

1.  I am now connected to 'system eth1', but it says 'never'.

2. If I choose auto ethernet it works fine and the settings are editable in
this dialog.

3. If I choose 'system eth1', it works fine but settings are all grayed out.

Why are settings all grayed out in 'system eth1'?  In /etc/sysconfig/network-
scripts/ifcfg-eth1 it says:
USERCTL=yes
and
NM_CONTROLLED=yes