Re: FC10, Virtualization , Windows XP

M A Young wrote:
On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, Tom Horsley wrote:

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 19:09:04 -0500
Jim wrote:

FC 10/KDE
what is the best Virtualization program for FC10, to run Windows XP in.
I understand because my AMD Athlon doesn't have a "svm" feature I can't
run KVM, and VM Ware is slow ?

Anything you use will be slow without the hardware virtualization
support - they all have the same problem.

But they aren't all as slow as vmware, nor is hardware virtualization required for a faster solution, for example Xen does very well without needing hardware support. However, due to the current development stage, xen isn't a practical solution for Fedora 10 (upstream development is usable is some circumstances but yet suitable for a wider audience), but might be ready during the lifetime of Fedora 11, or for Fedora 12.

Linux can run paravirtualized, but XP not so much. A general problem, which is why the hardware virtual is helpful. Doesn't seem to help some things, though, the last I checked Avi told me that Win98SE did some stuff in real mode which kvm can't catch, I think VMware does, I believe I ran VMware on a 2.4 kernel "back when."

My guess is that qemu is about as good as the others, give or take 20%. I actually installed FC10 x86_64 on qemu, although it was... leisurely. Something to try, at least.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen tmr com>