infor on creating an empy folder view

Using f10 and kde 4.2.1 form updates-testing repo.
I would like to create an empty folder view where to put some
icons/menus/ecc to have a sort of logical division areas on my desktop
(similar to what fences on windows does
http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/index.asp)
On the desktop, adding widget and selecting folder view, I get by
default my home directory folder view.
I can customize somehow, but it seems it is bound to a pre-existing
directory or a place? Is this correct?
Any other way to have sort of virtual folder view and easily achieve
what I want?

Thanks,
Gianluca