Church sound

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Mar 13 04:09:46 UTC 2009

David Miller writes:

> My church has decided that they would like to do digital recording using
> a computer in place using tape.  I have setup a FC10 machine that I plan
> on using for this. I see several packages that will record but I don't
> want to have a 700M file.  Is there a package that will break the
> recording into, lets say, 10min files and then be able to burn those to
> CD as audio tracks with zero time between tracks.
> At some point later I would like to get a camera and start doing video
> recording of the service  and place of DVD.

mplayer's mencoder should be able to do it. Use it as a no-op filter, but
specify the -ss and -endpos options to extract a chunk from the source
video.

mencoder should work for both audio and video files. There's probably an
mplayer option that dumps the chronological size of the audio/video file.
Have a script use that to figure out how to chop up the file, then invoke
mencoder repeatedly to carve out each chunk.