Re: Shell confusion

Thanks for the explanation of the use of - in the su command.
I checked the man pages for su, (why did you put su(1)), and found the following
comment about a login shell,
-, -l, --login
   make the shell a login shell
which did not lead me to understand that a user's login script would have been run. (Doesn't seem to make
any difference in this case anyway).
Regards
Dave

----- Original Message ----- From: "Garry T. Williams" <gtwilliams gmail com>

Check the manual page for su(1).

If you had entered `su - amandabackup', that user's login scripts
would have been run.

In general, using su without its `-' parameter is a bad idea[*]
especially when switching to the root login.

[*] Unless, of course, you know why you want to do that.