KDE desktop effects + GPU temp

Hi all,

I'm running up to date F10 with KDE on a dell vostro 1400 with an nVidia 8400gs. I'd really like to be able to use transparency (one of the desktop effects), but as soon as I enable desktop effects the GPU temp starts rising, getting up to close to 70C. Seeing as how these nvidia chips are sensitive to heat and known to fail, I'd rather have a cooler GPU so I haven't been running with desktop effects.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get transparency and still have the gpu temp idle at a low temp (around 50C, where it is now)?
Thanks,
Endy