Re: Shell confusion

Matthew Flaschen wrote:

> You should not run GUI apps under a root shell.  Do:
>
> sudo gedit

What is the difference between running "su - -c gedit" and "sudo
gedit" - they both run gedit as with root permissions. The only
difference I know about is that the first form runs with root's
environment. (Like the -i option of sudo.) I would expect this to be
 marginally safer, as you know you are using root's path.

> or better yet:
>
> sudoedit /etc/the_config.ext

This is much safer, and you can still use gedit as your editor if
you want by setting the VISUAL or EDITOR environment variables.

Mikkel