Re: Shell confusion

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Matthew Flaschen wrote:
You should not run GUI apps under a root shell.  Do:

sudo gedit

What is the difference between running "su - -c gedit" and "sudo
gedit" - they both run gedit as with root permissions. The only
difference I know about is that the first form runs with root's
environment. (Like the -i option of sudo.) I would expect this to be
 marginally safer, as you know you are using root's path.

Just so. using the "-" causes execution of the initialization done at login as the shell starts. This can include .bashrc, .bash_profile, etc, etc. The the bash man page for the exact precedence of that stuff.

or better yet:

sudoedit /etc/the_config.ext

This is much safer, and you can still use gedit as your editor if
you want by setting the VISUAL or EDITOR environment variables.

Mikkel

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen tmr com>