Re: Partitions screwed up

Jim wrote:
> FC 10
> Here is my Fdisk;
>

> DEv      BOOT START END     Blocks        ID    SYSTEM
>
> /dev/sda1            1           5099       40957686   83     Linux
> /dev/sda2   *       5100     6374       10241432+   7     HPFS/NTFS
> /dev/sda3            6375   14815       67802332+ 83     Linux
> /dev/sda4          14816   14946        1052257+    5     Extended
> /dev/sda5          14816   14946        1052227     82    LinuxSwap
>
> The sda1 is really the / Linux boot partition.
>
> When I resized the /dev/sda2 / partition to get 10gb of free space to
> make a partition, /dev/sda1 for WindowsXP NTFS, Gparted changed the
> Partition number.
>
> From what I can see is delete /dev/sda2 and change /dev/sda1 Linux / to
> /dev/sda2 to get back to Linux / as Boot.
>
> I don't know a whole bunch about Linux, so please be very definitive on
> what I need to do to get these partitions straighten out.

You are making things much too complicated. All you have to do is
change what partition is marked as boot.

Using fdisk:
fdisk /dev/sda1
Command (m for help): a
Partition number (1-6): 1
Command (m for help): w

The a command toggles the bootable flag.
The w command writes the partition table to disk and exits.

Using gparted:
Highlight the partition you want to be marked as boot.
From the Partation menu, pick Manage Flags. Click on the boot check
box...

One other note - it usually does not matter what partition is marked
as bootable as long as one is...

Mikkel