creating own RPMs

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Sat Mar 14 20:26:12 UTC 2009

David Hláčik wrote:

> So far i was creating packages by using rpmdevtools and rpmbuild itself.
> I've read about mock , which is chrooted environment for building
> SRPMs . But does this mock can be applied on spec files? Do i need to
> prepare srpm package before i can work with mock? If so, this will not
> help me much.

I'm curious why that would be.  What makes building src.rpm packages
difficult enough that mock wouldn't be any further help?  Normally you
can just "rpmbuild -bs --nodeps package.spec" to build a src.rpm, and
then use mock to set up the chroot directory for different releases and
rebuild the package.