Re: LAN addresses in IPv6

Timothy Murphy <gayleard eircom net> writes:
> Anthony Messina wrote:
>
>> look into radvd
>
> Thanks, I am looking into radvd .
> Unfortunately, its exact purpose is not clear to me.
> Is it an essential part of an IPv6 system?
>
>> this site is helpful:
>> http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/fedora/ipv6-tunnel.html
>
> I had looked at this.
> Unfortunately it fell into the category of documents
> intended for somebody very different to myself,
> possibly belonging to a different species.
>
> Eg there is some discussion of radvd.conf ,
> but it never said that one should install the radvd package.
> (It seems to be assumed that everyone knows that radvd is.)
>
> Also I have no idea what to substitute for Y...Y in
> 	prefix YYYY:YYYY:YYYY:0000::/64
> 		# advertise net 0 of 65536

Feel free to send questions and criticisms to the address at the bottom
of the page. ;-)

The YYYY part of the address in the radvd.conf is the address for the
net-block that your upstream ipv6-capable ISP (or ipv6 tunnel broker)
assigned to you.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht              http://www.full-steam.org/  (ipv6-only)
         You may need to config 6to4 to see the above pages.