Re: LAN addresses in IPv6

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:

Thanks, I am looking into radvd .
Unfortunately, its exact purpose is not clear to me.
Is it an essential part of an IPv6 system?

this site is helpful: http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/fedora/ipv6-tunnel.html
I had looked at this.
Unfortunately it fell into the category of documents
intended for somebody very different to myself,
possibly belonging to a different species.

Eg there is some discussion of radvd.conf ,
but it never said that one should install the radvd package.
(It seems to be assumed that everyone knows that radvd is.)

Also I have no idea what to substitute for Y...Y in
prefix YYYY:YYYY:YYYY:0000::/64 # advertise net 0 of 65536
Feel free to send questions and criticisms to the address at the bottom
of the page. ;-)

Thanks for your comment.
Apologies for my slightly rude remarks about your document.
I shall read it again with more diligence.

But I have more or less decided to put IPv6 on the long finger.
I'm actually running Centos-5.2 on my server, with shorewall,
and it seems that shorewall6 is unlikely to be supported until Centos-6 comes out.

I should point out that Centos 6 may not come out until 10Q4! So you are putting a long wait.

I don't want to run iptables directly, as I am not confident
that I would get it right;
and I don't know of any alternative to shorewall
which is available under Centos and which supports IPv6.

After I finish with my current FC9 project that includes shorewall6, I will take a look at 6wall for Centos 5.

The YYYY part of the address in the radvd.conf is the address for the
net-block that your upstream ipv6-capable ISP (or ipv6 tunnel broker)
assigned to you.

OK, I'll try putting that in.
At present radvd fails, with the error message:
helen radvd[4958]: IPv6 forwarding seems to be disabled, exiting
This is set in /etc/sysconfig/network.

See /usr/share/doc/initscripts-8.45.19.EL/sysconfig.txt for more information.