Re: Shell confusion

Thanks to all the contributors to this subject.
I am pleased to say that I managed to work around the problems I was having, and understand the causes of the problems. Of course, I also had to get to grips with vim, I'll be doing my own introductory document on that shortly. It's been 25 years since I last used a line editor and took a bit of searching to find the right basic information.
Anyway, if you contributed, consider your name listed here.
Thanks again.
Dave