Re: F10 and built-in Intel graphics

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

I have a Dell P4 desktop machine with a built-in Intel graphics card.
lspci reports:

       00:02.0 VGA compatible controller Intel Corp
       82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device
       (rev 01)

The graphical installer freezes and X freezes after a short time
(usually seconds or tens of seconds) after starting (even with a fully
updated system).  I've seen reports of issues with the Intel graphics
driver on F10, but does anyone have a way of making this work or does
anyone know what the status is of the driver?

I'd consider putting another card in, but the only slots in the machine
are PCI and it hardly seems worth it, as I got the machine for free and
it will mostly be running relatively non-graphics-intensive Windows XP
stuff.

I recommend that you do a text based install (add text to the boot line), and once you have it installed, boot to a text console (add 3 to the boot line), then add Option "NoAccel" "true" to the Device section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf

	Michael Young