NM fails to connect when booting ?? -[SOLVED]

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Wed Mar 18 17:35:41 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 11:46 -0400, William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 14:26 +0200, Antti J. Huhtala wrote:
> > ke, 2009-03-18 kello 08:22 +0100, Kevin Kofler kirjoitti:
> > >
> > > "Edit Connections" is for primarily editing per-user settings. I think
> > > there's also a plugin for systemwide settings which can be edited at the
> > > same place, but Fedora is using a plugin to use the existing
> > > system-config-network settings instead, so you have to fire up
> > > system-config-network to change systemwide settings.
> > >
> > >         Kevin Kofler
> > >
> > I wonder if "Edit connections" now works even for per-user settings? A
> > few days ago I finally installed F10 from original (Nov -08) x86_64 DVD.
> > That version seemed to allow me to edit NM connections at least somehow
> > but I didn't do it before downloading some 340 M of updates. After that
> > "Edit connections" was useless (greyed out) for ordinary user.
> > Because I have a wired cable modem (at eth0) and a NATted Centos 5.2 box
> > connected to Internet (via eth1) through the F10 box, I could not make
> > NM behave the way I wanted.
> > Maybe the original ifcfg-eth0 default of 'ONBOOT=no' is not a bug but it
> > surely is a poor choice for someone like me with no wireless devices.
> > After struggling a while with NM trying to configure it the way I
> > wanted, I had to disable NM altogether and configure the trusty old
> > network service like it is in my F9 system. To add insult to injury, it
> > is now necessary to install gnome-netstatus applet separately because it
> > has been removed from basic F10 installation's 'add-to-panel-gadgets'.
> >
> > To me it looks like "life is too short for NM".

The lack of documentation is regrettable, but I haven't had much trouble
lately making it do anything I've tried.  (Admittedly, I haven't tried
everything possible.  In particular, I haven't tried to start a wireless
connection at boot, which seems to be the most common problem scenario.)

> I actually think that NM is a great improvement over
> system-config-network.  That is one of the reasons why I have brought
> any problems I am having with NM to this mailing list.  I would rather
> get NM working for me than return to system-config-network.
>
> For ordinary users or users who would rather spend their time on things
> other than tweaking their wireless or wired network -- keep it
> simple,stupid (KISS).  The problem is, if you want to make some minor
> changes or alterations you have to dive into the arcane nether world of
> networking.
>
> I would suggest:
>      1. A button that allows you to disconnect (turn it off) temporarily
>         -- say to the next boot.

Right-click the applet and uncheck Enable Networking or Enable Wireless,
as appropriate.

>      2. An "Edit Connections" that actually allows you to edit
>         connections.

All my wireless connections are editable from the applet.  The wired
connections are editable from s-c-network, as mentioned above.
Apparently Fedora devs think that that's the way to go.

>      3. Tie editing to root, if necessary, with the usual sudo or su -
>         popup.

See s-c-network.  It might be nice if nm-applet started s-c-network when
you tried to edit a "non-editable" connection, but if this is where an
"ordinary user" would think to
edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, then s-c-network the way
to do it.

>      4. Clearly show in the gui how to turn ONBOOT to yes or no.

See s-c-network.

BTW, I have a desktop with a recent F10 install, fully up to date.  It
has only a wired interface.  That interface comes up at boot (before
login) with no problem using NM, not using the network service.  I have
not made any changes to its /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.
s-c-network shows that it is on at startup and controlled by NM.

>      5. A Default button that returns any adjustments to the default
>         settings.
>      6. A manual that is useful.
>
> And, by the way, what does the "never" that is placed at the end "System
> eth0" line mean?

Means "Never connected to that interface."  Apparently incorrect or
meaningless for System eth0, but seems to work for wireless.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu