NM fails to connect when booting ?? -[SOLVED]

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Mar 18 22:25:00 UTC 2009

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 09:12 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
>> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>>
>>> I wish some guru who understands NM would bring out a variant
>>> that just connects on bootup.
>>> I'm pretty sure the standard version would rapidly fall into disuse.
>>>
>> But, they have that feature already. It's the way network interfaces
>> have started for a decade.  Why bother with NM at all when starting the
>> interface on boot is what 99% of people need anyway?
>>
>> As for the arguments about wireless connectivity, how many people
>> actually move between wireless connections?  If you do it might be only
>> between 2, home and work.
>>
>> NM sucks, everyone knows it, so let's can it and move to something that
>> doesn't.
>>
> Not everyone. I like it. And the latest NM can be configured to connect
> on boot.

There is a checkbox for start on boot, note that as of the current version March
10th, it doesn't work, although the most recent update may have addressed that.
There was discussion about anaconda and NM not playing well, perhaps someone
finally looked into it.

 From memory: unless there is an explicit "ONBOOT=yes" the NIC defaults to no.
That may be a simplification, I set my wlan0 checkbox to boot at startup and it
doesn't.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>