Re: copying lvm with the same name

Frank Cox wrote:
On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 17:07:28 -0700
Rick Stevens wrote:

We have a serious conflict here.  The df command shows you as on sda,
but LVM is reporting sdb.  My gut reaction is to have you do a:

	vgreduce --test VolGroup00 /dev/sdb2

and see if it would be successful.  If so, then remove the "--test" and
cross your fingers.

[root mutt temp]# vgreduce --test VolGroup00 /dev/sdb2
  Test mode: Metadata will NOT be updated.
  Physical Volume "/dev/sdb2" not found in Volume Group "VolGroup00"

This is consistent with the fact that the "active" Volume Group that I'm using
is not on /dev/sdb2.  It's just the "lvdisplay -vm" command that shows it as
being in use.

This is truly screwey.  The pvscan shows sdb2 as part of VolGroup00,
lvdisplay shows the partition as in use, but vgreduce says sdb2 isn't
part of the VG.  Hoo, boy.

Frank, this is potentially dangerous, but you can try

	# pvremove /dev/sdb2

to wipe out sdb2's PV status.  Since you seem to be running on /dev/sda
and vgreduce claims that /dev/sdb2 isn't part of the active VG, you
should be able to do this without blowing things up.

Damn this makes me nervous!
-      Cuteness can be overcome through sufficient bastardry         -
-                                         --Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes   -