Re: How to optimally set up components for SOHO mail system.

On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 19:33 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > > If you plan on continuing to use the same mail accounts at the
> same
> > > ISP,
> > > then you would probably need to set up fetchmail (or getmail) to
> > > retrieve the e-mail from the ISP and feed it into your mail
> server.
> > >
> > So the flow is:
> > ISP -> fetchmail -> postfix/procmail/sendmail -> MailScanner ->
> SQLGrey
> > -> Cyrus/Dovecot -> Evo/KOffice/etc
> ----
> Sendmail < or > Postfix
> procmail is pretty ugly and not needed if you use sieve
> Ingo (part of Horde) can give users a very nice sieve interface to
> control server based rules
> Greylisting not useful if you are doing fetchmail from ISP
> Cyrus IMAP < or > Dovecot
>
> Craig

Another question is:  The ISP sends (or I collect) mail via POP3.  Can
this then feed into the local IMAP server?  Or to phrase differently, is
the mail, just mail to the various programs that handle it, irrespective
of the transport protocol and so can pass through one protocol to
another and from one program to another?

--
Regards,
Simon Slater